Sri Sathya Sai Centre of Nairobi and Mombasa are jointly undertaking gram seva by providing food rations to about 2750 households in the severely drought-hit region of Kilifi. Kilifi is one of the most severe drought affected areas in Kenya as per a report by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, and in need of immediate assistance.
The dates of the seva are April 8th and 9th, 2017.
Contacts for Seva
Bro. Neeraj Mehta (Youth Coordinator & Project Lead – Nairobi) – email@example.com – +254-735-900-881
Sis. Ektaa Shah (Youth Coordinator – Mombasa) – firstname.lastname@example.org – +254-727-529-490
Bro. Dinesh Shikotra (Chairman – Sri Sathya Sai Centre – Mombasa) – +254-722-829-768.
Physical Address for Sri Sathya Sai Centre in Nairobi: Musa Gitau Rd, Off Waiyaki Way (Behind Deloitte), Nairobi, Kenya
Kilifi Area Population and Demographics.
Most affected areas are:
– Girimacha Sub locations.
Total numbers of Sub locations are 5:
Approximate households to be served are 2750, with an estimated population of 17,000.
Food Rations to be Distributed
Each household will be given one hamper of food rations containing the following items. Quantities will suffice at least a decent meal per day for 5-7 days.
Standard food hampers to include:
– Maize (dried corn)
– Beans (maharagwe)
In addition to food, each household will also be provided with some items of clothing.
Volunteer Transportation and Logistics
Due to heavy traffic on roads, it has been advised for all volunteers to fly to Malindi directly.
– Flight to Mombasa on 8th and return to Nairobi on 10th. Cost of ticket: KES 14,400. Price of tickets is valid only for 24 hours kindly confirm so we could book the tickets.
– We will hire vans from Mombasa to Malindi.
– Stay in Eden Roc Malindi @5,000 per person per night B&B.
How you can help
- We need lots of volunteers to be able to distribute these rations in an efficient and orderly manner.
- Those who wish to contribute funds towards this cause are requested to pay via:
- Cheque made out to “Sri Sathya Sai Centre – Kenya” and drop it off with Bro. Dave at the Nairobi centre.
- Those in Mombasa can contact either Sis. Ektaa Shah or Bro. Dinesh Shikotra to arrange donations.
- You can also make a direct deposit to our bank account: Account Name: Sri Sathya Sai Centre – Kenya, I&M Bank – Kenyatta Avenue Branch, Account #: 00100010631201. Receipts for donations by direct deposit can be collected at the Nairobi Centre from Bro. Dave.
- M-PESA Paybill Number – 863128.
- Questions regarding contributions can be directed to Bro. Rashmi H. Kamdar – +254-733-710-167.
- All items will be procured in Mombasa since it will be easier to transport the items to Malindi, as cost of transport from Nairobi to Malindi will be substantial – therefore we would request all those who would like to make food contributions to deliver it to the Mombasa Centre if possible.
- If anyone can assist with transporting materials from Nairobi to Mombasa or Malindi, please let us know.